[Foss4g2009] non-asp version of webpages

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Fri Aug 29 23:31:49 EDT 2008

In yesterday's meeting there was some discussion
about the FOSS4G 2009 website, including what needed
to be done to make it live before FOSS4G2008.

Without addressing any of the concerns about content,
layout, validity, etc. [1], here's an example of a
"non-asp version" of the current prototype front page:
http://members.shaw.ca/tempspace/foss4g2009/

To create that page (index.html) I:
- did a "save as" 'Web Page, complete' of this page, naming
   the saved page as index.html:
   http://www.tourhosts.com.au/testdev/foss4g/default.asp
- in the same folder as index.html created a folder called
   "images", and downloaded three JPEGs that are used as
   background images on that page
- uploaded index.html and two folders to my webserver

So, what, if anything, is wrong with this approach?

Well, one thing is that the prototype pages have been
created using lots of absolute URLs for pages that are
internal to the site. For example, the URL for "Home" is
http://www.tourhosts.com.au/testdev/foss4g/default.asp
At a minimum, all such links need to be relative URLs:
http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/design/relative_and_absolute_urls.php3

However, that alone doesn't solve the problem, because
then the anchor tag in the navigation menu for "Home"
would contain either "/default.asp" or "default.asp".
My suggestion is for Tour Hosts to rename all the
prototype webpages to end with ".html", and to have
the 'index document' for each 'folder' be named
"index.html". I'm sure TH can easily tweak their
Dreamweaver workflow, and their server if necessary,
so that the prototype pages will work properly with
those changes when served from their server, so that
testing can continue.

Oh, and we should also have a Favicon created for use
with our website.

[1]
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Website_Feedback

--