[Foss4g2009] Venue & program comments

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:08:12 EST 2008

Excellent work Simon, thanks for pulling it together.
My comments inline.

mapbutcher wrote:
> It looks like my email sent to the list last night was truncated - so
> here it is again without attachments  - which can be found here:
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g2009/2008-December/000585.html
>
> 1. Notes on the attached program (PDF and Excel)
>
> Find attached a first draft program, this includes an outline program
> for the conference as a whole inclusive of the workshops and also an
> outline daily schedule. The program does not include the following at
> this stage:
>
> : social events
> : logistics
> : any concept of streams
> : + lots of other stuff i have not got a handle on yet.....
>
> I have made a number of assumptions when creating this draft so please
> keep this in mind
>
> a) We will have 3 featured speakers plus 1 keynote
I hadn't distinguished between feature and keynote speakers, and was
considering 1 feature speaker to start each day, maybe 2 feature
speakers on the first day. (I think Tim originally suggested this).
However, the current structure works too. What are your thoughts on this?

Do we get an option to save money by not using the Parkside Auditorium
on Thursday? The program as structured suggests we don't need it.

> b) We will have an introduction from OGC on the integration showcase
> within the plenary
Yes.
> c) We will have some sort of demonstration of the integration showcase
> as part of the conference close
Sounds reasonable.
> d) Total Conference Sessions: 97
How does this compare to prior years?
> e) Total Conference Tutorials: 24
ditto?
> f) I have opted to utilise Parkside 03 and Parkside 04 for both
> workshops and tutorials leaving the option open to retain PC's for
> tutorials if required.
Cool.

Jody, Mark and I have been discussing the idea of an Install-fest. Bring
along your laptop and install with latest software. Geeks hovering
around helping out.
Probably set it up in one of the workshop rooms on Tuesday night.
Ideally, we will have beer & nuts in the rooms to help keep the geeks
hovering around.
So I suggest we dedicate 16:30 - 18:00 to an install-fest.

> 2. 20-10-2009 (Page 2 of PDF)
>
> Shows a potential workshop program - each of the confirmed\held rooms
> and capacities are shown, including Parkside 110A and 110B. I would
> like to present 3 possible options, I'm sure there are others:
>
> a) Conservative - 290 attendees
> b) Medium - replace G04 & G03 with 110A & B     - 460 attendees
> c) High Risk - 630 attendees
>
> As SCEC are pushing for confirmation we need to make a decision on
> this. Parkside 110A & 110B are large rooms (we also have the
> auditorium) and are away from other rooms in the SCEC - i.e. upstairs.
> I'm not sure that we would make optimal use of these rooms and even
> when partitioned they could feel empty. At this stage my preference
> would be to opt out of these rooms and work with the alternate room
> suggestions for both the conference and workshops as I have drafted in
> the program.
I'm confused, you have Parkside 110A & 110B identified in your spreadsheet.

I'm inclined to target the Medium estimate.
Lets discount the High Risk 630 people, as there is a good chance we
won't get that many at the conference in total, let alone only the
workshops.

> 3. 21-10-2009 (Page 3 of PDF)
How does this compare to prior events? In particular SA, which had
similar numbers to what we are targeting.

> Total Sessions: 30
>
> 4. 22-10-2009 (Page 4 of PDF)
>
> Total Sessions: 36
> Total Tutorials: 16
>
> 5. 23-10-2009 (Page 5 of PDF)
>
> Total Sessions: 31
> Total Tutorials: 8
>
> 6. Comments on the venue
>
> a) Capacity has been given for G07 can we abandon the suggested useage
> in favour of using this as a session room and secure this for the
> conference i.e. 21st, 22nd & 23rd?
> b) Can we confirm G04 for the conference i.e. 21st, 22nd & 23rd?
> c) Can we opt out of 110A and 110B?
> d) I think we need to secure Parkside 01, 02, 03, 04 & 05 for workshop
> set up on Monday 19th.
> e) I would like to see exhibitors have access to the parkside foyer as
> soon as lunch has finished on the Tuesday 20th?
> f) Will the booth bump in during the night on the Monday incur extra
> costs?
Agreed, I'm interested to know if we can mitigate risk by opting out or
taking rooms at the last moment.
We can lock into number of delegates = 550 to 600.
Anything over that should be optionally added later.

> 7. Comments on the exhibition
>
> The variety of booth choices is preferable to many small booths. In
> summary this alternate configuration will provide us with:
>
> a) 15 x 3m x 1m booths
> b) 9 x 3m x 2m booths
> c) 8 x 3m x 3m booths
Sounds good.

> My preference remains to stay with the Parkside Foyer as alternate
> costs for the Exhbition space seem prohibitive. I would like to seek
> confirmation that we can double up as required on these booth sizes?
Agreed.

> 8. Conference Program Schedule
>
> I met with TH last wednesday and discussed briefly the outline
> conference program schedule they had supplied. The following issues
> were raised and require OC confirmation:
>
> a) Both the call for abstracts AND workshops will be handled by the OC
> - Cameron can you confirm?
Yes, that is the intent.
> b) Based on advice from TH can we consider altering the abstract
> submission deadline to the beginning of June to allow more time for
> review - I don;t see this as a big issue?
Fine by me.
> c) There was some discussion raised around a seperate deadline for
> presenters to ensure we get registration confirmed for all presenters
> and do as much as we can to mitigate against no shows - any views?
Happy to take advice from others on this.
I'm expecting we will have more presentations than slots, so there is a
good chance we can call upon a reserve list if needed.