[Foss4g2009] Mini-exhibitions?

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Oct 6 20:49:22 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 19:30 +1000, mapbutcher wrote:
> >>don't do things by halves.....:) sorry couldn't resist..
>
> Aimed at being a place where customers can find presenters or project
> leads and network.
>
> >>I think this happens perfectly well organically Cameron, however
> there was a cool area set up in 2007 towards the rear of the
> exhibition area where OSGeo had a stand and there were sofas etc which
> made for a relaxing sort of chill out zone - in fact i saw a couple of
> people sleeping there at one point :)
>
> Simon

To me the "OSGeo lounge" is a "good thing".  It provides a focal point
for where OSGeo projects can be represented (as opposed to vendors
selling their solutions based on projects).  It should probably be
somewhere central and/or near food & coffee facilities.  I believe from
my own observations and comments that came my way in Cape Town that such
a thing would go down quite well.  Victoria had the right idea with
this.  I don't think this should be considered in the same way sponsors
or exhibitors booths should be done.  The lounge should be thought of as
"our" area where we can present our community to the delegates.  The
facilities at the booth should allow project teams to show their work
informally (the booth pc and large screen with live dvd installed in
Cape Town came in quite handy for this.  Worth repeating).

Regards,
Tim

> 2008/9/28 Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com>
>         Tim and others,
>         For 2009 we will have exhibition booths which will be occupied
>         by sponsors & vendors (who can afford it). What I'm wondering
>         is whether there should be a smaller presentation category for
>         small Open Source Projects. Maybe only available on the day.
>         Maybe only offering a table, or part of a booth. Aimed at
>         being a place where customers can find presenters or project
>         leads and network.
>
>         Tim, I'm wondering whether you could look around this week and
>         see whether there is a need for this, and if so, what would
>         people be prepared to pay for their  1/2 table?
>
>         --
>         Cameron Shorter
>         Geospatial Systems Architect
>         Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
>         Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
>         Think Globally, Fix Locally
>         Geospatial Solutions enhanced with Open Standards and Open
>         Source
>         http://www.lisasoft.com

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.