[Foss4g2009] FOSS4G Program

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Oct 10 13:22:02 EDT 2008

2008/10/9 Janelle Driscoll <jdriscoll at tourhosts.com.au>:
> Are you planning on having
> a call for workshops and labs but using the open source software?

We'll probably just use an e-mail address. It's not that hard to
hand-manage 30-40 workshop proposals, assuming we get even that many.

> Are you
> planning on having a call for abstracts but using the open source software?

Yes, OCS is apparently the solution, though I hope someone is
interested enough to figure out the guts and make it run a little
nicer this time around.

> How are you going to pass this information to Tour Hosts?

In 2007 I sent a spreadsheet to the organizer, who sent it on to the
programme designer, who did a fine job turning it into a nice printed
programme.  Again, we're talking about 120 session here, not
thousands.

> I have attached
> the draft program timeline for you. You will see in this timeline that we
> were planning on developing these online forms in November this year;

Since the call for papers is unlikely to open until after the call for
workshops, I don't think there's a huge hurry. Papers always come in
late and in a rush anyways. The important date is not the open of the
call, but the close.

> therefore we need to clarify how this process will run by the end of
> October.

I would like to see the OC set the dates for the following events,
now, so that other planning can be hung off of them:

Open Call for Workshops
Close Call for Workshops
Notification of Workshops Selected
Open Registration
Open Call for Papers
Close Call for Papers
Open Papers Review Process (Community?)
Close Papers Review Process (Community?)
Notification of Papers Selected
Open Call for Posters
Close Call for Posters
Notification of Posters Selected
Early Bird Registration Deadline

> Also at sometime we need to talk about the venue for the code sprint. Should
> I start looking for venues for a week long code sprint? If so will there now
> be a registration fee for the code sprint?

Yes, look for venues. We need to know our options. No fee.

P.