[Foss4g2009] Re: Hierarchy

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Thu Sep 4 11:39:16 EDT 2008

On 2008/09/03 10:31 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Kirsty, veteran FOSS4G members will probably correct my answers below.
>
> Kirsty O'Brien wrote:
>>
>> Dear Cameron,
>>
>> Just a quick thought whilst I am draft the prospectus, in the
>> hierarchy I sent you to you I did include packages for the
>> demonstration theatre,
> I'm not sure what the demonstration theatre is, but suspect it is the
> same as the "Integration Showcase".
>> presentation lab
> I think this is what we are calling workshops?
>> as in South Africa, will these packages be different to the
>> integration showcase?

A)
It would be more efficient, and promote overall better
communications, if TH sent their questions directly
to the mailing list, rather than to Cameron who then
forwards them on to the list.

B)
Perhaps TH can configure their email client to send
messages using 'plain text' when sending to the mailing
list, because the forwarded emails from Cameron, with
his replies inline, once quoted in a reply, often are
'mangled' to the point that they are hard to read
(for example, see above).

C)
This refers to the Sponsorship hierarchy, and the
categories in it.

D)
The Demo Theatre is not the same as Integration Showcase.
Demo Theatre:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2007_Demos
http://www.foss4g2007.org/exhibition/demotheatre/
Integration Showcase:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G2007_IntegrationShowcase
http://www.foss4g2007.org/exhibition/integration/
At FOSS4G2007 the Demo Theatre did take place, and was
a success. While some work was done before the conference,
the Integration Showcase did not come to fruition, and
was not part of FOSS4G2007.

E)
"Presentation lab". Well, 2007 had "Presentations", and
it had "Labs", but I don't know what a "Presentation lab"
is or where that term came from. Neither Presentations
nor Labs are the same as Workshops. Using the FOSS4G2007
model, Presentations and Labs are part of the main
conference program, so if someone is sponsoring the
conference, they are sponsoring those by default.
Workshops, which were held on a separate day, and for
which registrants had to pay extra, seem like a more
obvious candidate for sponsorship. Even more so if we
end up holding them at a different venue than the SCEC.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems

Degree Confluence Project: