[Foss4g2009] [Fwd: Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Timetable for -09 bidding]- Intergeo in Germany- TourHosts

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Tue Sep 16 05:23:07 EDT 2008

I've added this to the FOSS4G Calender, along with some other events around
the same time.

I think we need to be aware at this stage our proposed dates (20th-24th Oct)
sits between the SSI conference (28th Sept-2nd Oct) and the WALIS forum
(4th-6th Nov) which are both large Australian Geospatial events. Based upon
previous years this may also be the time which the ESRI Australia conference
is held?

These regional conferences create stiff competition especially as they are
established events, which makes the marketing of FOSS4G locally in
Australia/NZ very important. We should consider the following as key
features of the marketing plan IMO:

1. Many in Australia/NZ will not have been to a FOSS4G conference so there
is an *opportunity* to attend this *unique* event
2. What makes FOSS4G *different*?
3. FOSS4G is a *value* for money conference is comparison to other events?
4. This is a truly *global* event

One thing we need to ensure (I'm no marketeer!) is that FOSS4G is well
advertised locally so that people are aware of their choices well in advance
i.e. given a choice of conferences we want FOSS4G to be in the list!

Simon