[Foss4g2009] FOSS4G 2009 Website

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Mon Sep 22 14:26:26 EDT 2008

On 2008/09/21 3:33 PM, Janelle Driscoll wrote:

> Tour Hosts have updated the draft website incorporating some of your
> suggestions.  We have also added our comments to the Website Feedback
> Wiki page. http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Website_Feedback

> We would like to the have website up and running at the FOSS4G 2008
> Conference.

> The draft site is located at
> http://www.tourhosts.com.au/testdev/foss4g/. At the moment we have not
> made any changes to the dates of the Conference.

1)
What will we be using for "the" URL for 2009?
Is it http://www.foss4g.org/2009/ or
http://www.foss4g2009.org/ or something else?

2)
How soon can we see the draft version of the
website via "the" URL for 2009? Is someone
from the OC working with TH to ensure that
this is 'all ready to go'?

3)
There are some things that I think will need
more discussion, but for the purposes of
getting the website ready before FOSS4G 2008,
I think they can be left until later. I've
only listed below things that I think must
be changed before the website is made public.

3-A)
As noted above, the dates in the logo. On
the Home page, use the wording "from Tuesday
October 20th through Friday October 23rd, 2009.".
Also fix the dates in all the page Title tags.

3-B)
Have the sidebar OSGeo logo, and the text
"Open Source Geospatial Foundation" be links
to http://www.osgeo.org/

3-C)
Committee page:
has not been updated to reflect the current
content of the wiki page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Governance#FOSS4G_2009_Organising_Committee
Get rid of "TBD: 2008 Representative".

3-D)
Home page:
"About OSGeo - Australia/New Zealand" section:
Does this section need to be on the Home page?
If so, shouldn't it be after the "About FOSS4G"
section, and shouldn't it contain some text
that explains the linkage between the local
chapter and the hosting of the conference?
Change "local issues like promoting" to
"local issues such as promoting".

3-E)
Fix the Title tag for the Home and "Expression
of Interest" pages. The Home page doesn't need
a 'page name' in the Title tag. While there
will eventually be a "Registration" page, it's
not clear that it will replace the "Expression
of Interest" page, so the current "Expression
of Interest" page should have the Title tag
match the current page's name.

3-F)
We need to 'advertise' the public mailing list
and wiki somewhere on the website. I'd suggest
that the Contacts page be expanded to be similar
to what was used for 2007:
http://www.foss4g2007.org/contacts/
including adding the 'Wiki and Mailing Lists'
section. Note that we have to decide now what
IRC channel will be used for FOSS4G2009, IF
we are going to list it on that page (Jeff
wanted to defer discussion of what IRC
channels are to be used for FOSS4G conferences
until after the 2008 conference).

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems