[Foss4g2009] FOSS4G 2009 Website

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Sep 23 13:24:59 EDT 2008

While there is some love for

http://www.foss4g.org/2009

may I put my oar in for

http://2009.foss4g.org

Since the latter can be easily pointed to non-osgeo boxes, while the
former will require redirects or proxypasses to do so.

(Moving to YYYY.foss4g.org also allows us to point those numbers
directly at the 2007 and 2006 sites for instant gratification.)

Also, as Jason Birch pointed out to me in 2007, for optimal search
ranking, you want to choose *one* canonical domain name and redirect
to that, not have 5 urls all answering.

So, rather than having

http://www.foss4g2009.org/hotels.html
http://www.foss4g.org/2009/hotels.html
http://foss4g2009.org/hotels.html
http://2009.foss4g.org/hotels.html

all return content, only *one* should return content, and all the rest
should 304 to that one.

Paul