[Foss4g2009] wesbite changes

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Mon Sep 29 06:27:46 EDT 2008

The following is proposed on the wiki in regard to the process of  making
changes to the website;

1. while there may be an upside in terms of exposure, one downside of having
'the first cut' announced on this public list is that the list is archived
and publicly available, therefore search engines may 'grab content' that we
decide shouldn't be made public

Is our only option to discuss changes via the private list - or is this
really an issue? I suggest we use an alternate URL for review - I would like
to host a copy of the site on my host to allow me to make changes directly
to the site which then allows TH to clearly see what I mean by a proposed
change rather than trying to communicate changes exclusively in text - i.e.
I'd like to see this change <point to sample URL> - does anybody have
objections? - this may also be useful for OCS integration.

2. If the Organizing Committee doesn't review the content first, before it
is available publicly, there may be the risk of wrong or mixed messages

Agreed we need to have a review process but essentially can this be done as
it currently is - i.e. on the list with a deadline of noon sydney time on xx
date (with time/date link...)  for comments from the OC?

3. is a 'two step review' (Organizing Committee, then this public list) too
much 'management'

Yes (IMO)

4. is the process any different for an update to the content of an existing
page vs a new page

I prefer a simple process

a) submit proposed change to the list AND as a proposed todo task on the
wiki (
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Website_Feedback#Website_todo_list)
b) Simon keeps eye on the list and wiki and coordinates these with TH - if
there is something thats needs OC agreement via a meeting we postpone the
change to our regular meeting (
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/foss4g2009/2008-September/000348.html)
c) change is made by TH
d) re-deploy onto OSGeo box

Cameron there are also some suggested policies on the wiki i.e.
compliancy/testing etc is it possible to make a call on what we are going to
follow so we can provide a clear set of criteria to TH?

Any other suggestions

Simon