[Foss4g2009] People are not using SSSI or ACS discount when registering for foss4g

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Wed Aug 19 17:06:15 EDT 2009

Stewart, Ross, foss4g organising committee,

Our conference organisors noted in the teleconference yesterday that out
of the 127 Australian and New Zealanders who have already registered for
the FOSS4G conference, http://2009.foss4g.org, only 2 of them have used
the 5% discount offered to SSSI and ACS members, which implies either:

* Members have forgotten about the discount when they got around to
registering, and couldn't find it on the website, or
* The message has not reached SSSI and ACS members

I'd like to determine how we can increase SSSI representation at FOSS4G.
Have press releases been going out to SSSI members?
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Releases
In particular, has the offer of a 5% discount reached members?  Maybe
emails are sent out, but are not being read? I expect that the SSSI
board would want to know answers to this to determine the effectiveness
of their own marketing pipeline.

On the plus side, despite the economic downturn, foss4g is still getting
a positive attendance from the international community, and we expect
that we should easily reach our conference break even point.