[Foss4g2009] Draft Press Release announcing abstracts

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Mon Jul 13 20:41:04 EDT 2009

Selecting less than half of the papers submitted
is a tough job for the organizers and could be
also unpleasant for authors whose submissions
are not selected.
>>The reality is we would like to accept them all, but unfortunately we have
a fixed schedule. I'm sure everybody who submitted a presentation is well
aware of this and accepts that they may not get the opportunity to present.

Recently, I have also heard
from some authors that number of rejections of
almost 50% of the submission was rather high.

>>We knew in advance how many presentation slots we had to fill, the
percentage seems high but that IMO is a positive reflection on the interest
in the conference. It's simply impossible to cater for all of the
presentation submissions. By offering the posters and demo theatre we would
hope to the reduce some of the 'unpleasantess' of the rejection.

I also feel that several good submission may
end up being rejected.

>>Inevitably this will happen yes, and we have tried to provide an inclusive
and transparent process to assist authors understand why their presentation
may not be accepted. It is not realistic to coordinate all the reasons and
provide a personal response to authors who are not accepted.

I think that there is
no need (or time) to send new call for poster
submission

>>Agreed

poster presentations could be
selected form the submission that could not be
accepted for oral presentation for the want of
time slots to accommodate them.

>>As previously discussed i favor an approach which removes the need for
further selection. This involves a simple invite to prepare a poster and
a commitment from the committee to provide the facilities to host the X
number of posters. The main reason why we have not acted up to this point on
posters is strict budget constraints which incidentally still exist,
therefore the main issue which needs resolution is a committee decision
on commitment to spend the $$ on hosting the posters.

Simon