FW: [Foss4g2009] Re: Anyone using Microsoft's bing maps at FOSS4G? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 20:07:50 EDT 2009

> Cameron,

I don't like this approach. It  smells of 'pay to play'.

They may also have more than Gold sponsorship in mind...

I'd suggest the approach that:

The organising committee would welcome support from Microsoft for our
premier international event.

FOSS4G-2009 will provide Microsoft with the opportunity to highlight their
substantial new data resources in Bing Maps to:

- a legion of developers who would traditionally utilise other data sources
such as
  OpenStreetMaps, Google Maps/Earth and data provided via Open Standards
  from data custodians around the world.

- a number of Government and Corporate decision makers.

This exposure may lead to future opportunities for Microsoft and Bing Maps
based on Open Source spatial implementations. However, it will largely
depend on how well Microsoft can promote the benefits of their services.

Open Source spatial works well with a variety of  technologies, including:

 - most projects support Open Standards based technologies (e.g. OGC and ISO
19100 series).

- a number of projects also support proprietary standards such as Bing Maps
and Google Maps/Earth (e.g. OpenLayers).

We do have presenters who are considering presenting with data sourced from
Bing Maps. However we have not yet finalised the selection of presentations.

We look forward to and welcome Microsoft's involvement with FOSS4G-2009.

Bruce Bannerman