[Foss4g2009] Re:FOSS4G Conference Presentations and an academic track

Thomas Knudsen knudsen.thomas at gmail.com
Thu May 21 04:09:20 EDT 2009

2009/5/20 Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com>:
> What is involved in getting ISBN publication for FOSS4G conference papers?
>> Having an academic track and
>> publicizing it and making sure people know they'll get a
>> bibliographical credit in an ISBN publication is important for a chunk
>> of attendees.

FOSS4G/2007 proceedings were apparently published as a special issue
of the OSGeo Journal, cf. URL
http://www.osgeo.org/news/journal/volume3

>From an academic point of view, I think a journal special issue would
be a preferable medium, rather than a plain conference proceedings
volume.
So in my humble opinion, the preferable approach would be a CDROM with
preliminiary papers available at the conference, followed by a special
issue of OSGeo journal, some 4-6 months later, with peer reviewed
versions of (extended/revised) papers by authors who would wish that.

/thomas