[Foss4g2009] Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Re:FOSS4G Conference Presentations and an academictrack

mapbutcher mapbutcher at mapbutcher.com
Mon May 25 16:19:44 EDT 2009

Jorge,
See comments inline:

> 1) We should put together the academic presentations. It's more easy for
> attendees to decide in advance where they wanna go.

OK

> 2) We should accept only good papers, even if they are only a few. It's
> a investment in quality, that will help us to raise the EIC (Estimated
> Impact of Conference). But I would say that we could accept about 12 to
> 15 papers, maximum.
>
> 3) It's no my business, but I might suggest just 20 min. to each
> academic presentation, instead of the 30 min. scheduled. Authors should
> really focus on what is really important, instead of telling all the
> story from the beginning till the end.

With 20 minutes each this fits in well with the current schedule sessions. I
have made a suggestion that the academic track runs all day on Thursday 22nd
in Parkside G04. Each session runs for 1hr and 30 minutes  - so in the
academic track you'd have 4 presentations per session with a 10 minute turn
around allowance.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pm1bvJQodiW3WBYGU7MM0Og

See the sheet for the 22nd. Is this room a suitable size. More information
on the room can be found here:

http://www.scec.com.au/rooms/fact_sheet.cfm?ObjectID=128

> 4) Joining items 2) and 3), tell us how many papers we should accept, to
> keep the schedule consistent, in your opinion. If you work on the
> google's schedule spreadsheet, we would see immediately your
> suggestions.

12 presentations would be required if the above schedule is suitable

> 5) We should update FOSS4G website to reflect today's announcement.
> Please feel free to request more information to update the website. We
> can help you with the contents.

Agreed, I've cc'd Shoaib in. I think a new dedicated page under the
programme heading would be good - if you could provide the content to Shoaib
he can arrange the site update. I also think we need to update the current
presentation page and submission guide page to take into account the
academic track

Cheers

Simon