[Foss4g2010] FreeGIS Book [was: foss4g2010 initiatives]

Lorenzo Becchi lbecchi at osgeo.org
Wed Apr 22 09:38:52 EDT 2009

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Lorenzo,
>
> Could you explain a bit more on 3) ?

Hola Agustin,
the Libro SIG project started a couple of year ago by Victor Olaya. His
idea was to contribute his contents about geo-analysis and to find some
other contribution by other professors to complete the contents need to
do a book of GIS available for everybody under a Creative Commons license.
the home page of the project is:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Libro_SIG
the latest unstable (sorry the geek term) version of the book is:
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/book/es/libro_sig/PDF/Libro_SIG_2009_01_21.pdf

The book progress, that's totally volunteer, is pretty slow and without
some support it would be impossible to have a version good for print for
September 2010. The language is Spanish but one chapter has been
contributed in English.
It's a perfect project to be sponsored because the sponsor logo will
remain in its pages for long. A similar book distributed with creative
commons would be very interesting for many actors. Translating it in
other languages would be the second good thing to sponsor.
some institutions said to be interested but nobody moved any step.

If we want to have the book ready for the conference in both Spanish and
English we should find a responsive sponsor (or more) soon.

ciao
lorenzo