FW: Re: [Foss4g2010] Sponsorship Prospectus - CCIP-2010 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Thu Nov 19 18:37:31 EST 2009

Buenos Dias Lorenzo / Paul and all,

(thanks for the heads up Roald)

It was about time that I subscribed to the FOSS4G-2010 list (I *was* trying to recuperate...).

With regards to CCIP-2010, yes we definitely do wish to continue with it.

I'm willing to act as the FOSS4G-2010 / CCIP-2010 liason.

Raj and I have been holding preliminary planning sessions, including a SWOT analysis of the whole CCIP concept. We will be sharing this with the CCIP community in the next few weeks for further discussion (and yes, there is a CCIP mailing list and wiki).

CCIP-2009 was a good learning exercise to get the momentum started. We are starting to build a decent community.

I have had expressions of interest from several bodies interested in becoming sponsors for the CCIP-2010 event.

Raj and I are also in discussions with key people to try and get World Meteorological Organisation support for CCIP-2010.

Raj has decided to donate a substantial portion of OGC time to CCIP-2009 so that we can get a more professional video demonstration of the achievements of our participants. This should be ready shortly. This should help us get more sponsorship for CCIP-2010.

Whatever your stance is on Climate Change, we have some real challenges that are not going to go away.

We have an opportunity here to make a real difference and ensure that advanced spatial technologies that utilise open standards are brought to the table and to the attention of climate scientists.

There will be many spin-off opportunities for many decades to come for people who have an understanding of these types of issues.

We have yet to decide on a CCIP-2010 scenario, but it would be good for Raj and I to get an introduction to a suitable person within the Spanish national Meteorolgical / Climate authority. It would be ideal if we could utilise Spanish data within the CCIP scenario.

Lorenzo, are you able to help with this?

Bruce

   --
   Bruce Bannerman