[Foss4g2010] workshops

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Nov 25 14:11:04 EST 2009

>> 1 a) (someone local should do this)

Yes having a local person (who lives in the Barcelona area) lead the
workshop committee is important, as there will be many meetings with the
local IT providers and venue.

There is also a separate email list
(http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference-workshops), which is
public, where we can discuss workshop issues with the presenters (all of
the workshop presenters from 2009 are subscribed).  We can use this list
as the event gets closer, to relay messages to presenters later.

I will be active in assisting the workshop committee.

>> 2)
 >
 > If tutorials are the same of labs I was thinking they are a good idea
 > for the public.
 >
 > 2 days of workshops seem pretty complicated.
 > We can reach 1.5 days (monday morning to tuesday morning) I guess.
 > it will allow 15 sessions in total.

I know again at the last event, tutorials/labs received no budget for
printing and several people were outspoken about this - my advice is to
drop these tutorials/labs and focus on workshops.  Tutorials/labs put an
increased load on the workshop committee.  But, if the local workshop
committee chair wants to take on this extra responsibility I am not
against it...just know what you're getting into :)

-jeff