[Foss4g2010] Presentations and posters

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Jan 29 19:13:05 EST 2010

Let me reiterate that treating academic as a "track" (with its own
room and own schedule) impoverishes both the academic and non-academic
conference participants. You're going to want to track popular topics
into big rooms and niche topics into small rooms, and whether the
topic is "academic" or not in origin is not necessarily going to
correlate with how popular it is. You might have a session consisting
of three talks, two that were vetted by the scientific committee and
another than came in the general presentation door.

Don't make "track" be your unit of oganization, make "session". That
way (for example) the "postgis" session could include a general talk
by me, an professional user talk by simon and a numbers-heavy
benchmarking talk from someone in academe. There's two much variety in
our ecosystem to fit everything into 5 meaningful tracks, but there's
enough homogeneity to fit them into 25 meaningful sessions.

Best,

Paul