[Foss4g2010] Presentations and posters

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 07:58:01 EST 2010

The best answer to this email was already given previously in the
discussion by Paul, therefore I'll quote him:
Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Warning: Don't balkanize the academic track by choosing a different
> presentation format from the other content. If everything is
> consistent, the talks can be mixed and matched into rooms depending on
> expected *demand and interest* rather than artificial categories
> ("it's academic").

Even if we have a special room for the academic track, people might
still want to switch between sessions. This is not possible (or rather
really annoying) when they have a different length of talks.

Additionally, what would be the benefit of shortening the talks? Having
more room for non-academic talks? In 2009 there were way less academic
talks than non-academic ones (IRCC ~20 vs. ~180). Accepting almost all
academic submissions doesn't make sense either. And especially for the
academic track I'd prefer quality over quantity.

Cheers,
  Volker