[Foss4g2010] BoF at FOSS4G

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 04:47:32 EST 2010

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Cameron Shorter wrote:
>>    * I, Cameron Shorter, organised 5 meetings of like minded people
>>      over dinner, breakfast and during the code sprint. (Meetings
>>      around Defence, Water, SDI implementers, GeoSpatial Businesses,
>>      OSGeo Marketing). I had the advantage of having access to the
>>      registration list, and hence could invite people individually.
>
> I request that this never happens again.  These 'invite only' meetings
> by the LOC at FOSS4G2009 left many of us who were not invited to
> meetings like 'GeoSpatial Businesses' (including myself and others
> that I know) feel that we were unwanted, after traveling across the
> world and spending so much money to be there.  These meetings are a
> good idea, but they must be open to everyone to attend.

Yes Jeff, good feedback. I've added your comment to the Lessons Learned.

And I publicly apologise for not inviting you to the Business Leaders
meeting. I admit my limitations  in picking appropriate people for
meetings, and it would be been much closer to the OSGeo ethos to
advertise these meetings publicly. (I suggest that it would be
complemented by specifically inviting specific people, especially
non-core people, to meetings they would likely be interested in attending.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect

Think Globally, Fix Locally