[Foss4g2011] Re: [Foss4g2011-private] Re: Bunch of procrastinators :)

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Mon Apr 18 06:30:45 EDT 2011

> Haha, I love this community. We have cultivated perfection in
> procrastination. Otoh, this seem to be true of most conferences around
> innovative topics, so nothing to worry about really. And then we live in
> this accelerated information society which is founded on just-in-time
> management, so probably this is just the way it is.

Hi Arnulf,

In this world you have to wait until the last minute to submit your work,
because things are changing too quickly.

For example SotM: I wanted to write an abstract when this huge earthquake
happened here in Japan, which completely changed my topic from one day to
another. So we can't really afford to submit proposals one month before ;-)

> Therefore it might be helpful to actively design track that focuses on the
> needs of this clientele. This might somewhat contradict the way we have
> designed the program in previous years with a knowledgeable community
> choosing things. But it would support the mission of OSGeo to spread word.
>
> What do you think?

Please don't make a community vote for 300 abstracts. It's a huge waste of
resources, no?
Imagine 500 people read 300 abstracts ... what if they would spend this time
to help translating LiveDVD documentation instead?
Reading 30 abstracts may be fun, but after number 100 you tend to skip the
rest.

Or, if you let the community vote for presentations, why can't we vote for
the workshops then as well? Or the keynote speaker maybe?

Daniel

> Have fun,
> Arnulf.
>
> [1]