[Foss4g2012] Re: [OSGeo-Conf] 2012 Status?

Daniel P. Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Sat Apr 7 20:22:30 EDT 2012

Given the apparent lack of organization for the global event, I am hoping
that 2012 will still be an important FOSS4G year as a series of regional
events draw attendees including the planned events in Prague, The
Netherlands, North America. - Dan

P.S. is there literally no one from China monitoring this discussion?! It's
a disturbing vacuum.

On Saturday, April 7, 2012, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > As a message to the LOC: I think the collective advice from prior FOSS4G
> > event organisors like myself is that FOSS4G 2012 needs to step up and
> make
> > some changes very soon if they are to attract an international audience.
>
> Indeed, people need to be able to plan for this kind of travel many
> months in advance. The LOC may indeed be able to whip up an excellent
> conference in four months, but most international attendees won't be
> able to whip up travel approval in that time for an event that has no
> program, no listed speakers, no agenda and no sponsors.
>
> I've been surprised at the number of folks from the US who aren't even
> very far from DC who have told me they can't attend the NA conference
> this year because the short timeline (announced in January for April)
> meant they couldn't get travel approvals.
>
> P.

- Dan

Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences