[foss4g2014] Setting Conference Pricing

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Thu Feb 13 15:42:57 PST 2014

I was updating the budget spreadsheet and it got me wondering.

Our single biggest expense – some 50-60% of the planned budget — is catering. On a per attendee basis, it eats up 60% of the full-price registration fee.

There would have to be *some* catering, such as for the gala and the exhibit hall event, and on-your-own options are somewhat limited in the convention center area, but…

…. is it worth polling likely attendees and asking what they prefer – lower fees or higher convenience (i.e. catering)?

If we dropped 50% of our catering bill, we could potentially drop registration fees by as much as $200. There a different ways we could do this, such as only have coffee & tea and no snacks during breaks (or none of the above), or by having lunches “on-your-own”, all of the above...

Thoughts?

Darrell