[foss4g2014] FOSS4G

Wm Leler wmleler at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:59:42 PDT 2014

> Have you had an opportunity to talk to anyone at Audubon? If not, is there someone you could hand me off to, since I'm sure you are busy enough as is?

Well, yes and no.  Last week I talked to Steve Engle at Audubon about it.  He thinks it is a
good idea. The problem is, he would have been the person to make it happen, but unfortunately
he just accepted a new job at Jackson Bottom Wetlands Preserve in Hillsboro, so he won't be
working for Portland Audubon any more.

Audubon is interviewing for a new person to replace him, but it will take a little while.

So this is what I can tell you.  I think it will be relatively easy to get someone from Audubon to
come over and talk to a group from FOSS4G.  But I think for the outing itself, FOSS4G will
need to organize it.  This could be as easy as just arranging for transport for a group up to
Chapman school.  You probably want to arrange for a big blanket (or tarp) for them to sit on.
Someone will need to stake out a location early enough in the evening, before the crowds
arrive.

Or you could arrange for a picnic dinner (there are companies who will cater this, of course).
There are several groups who do something like this every year, and it is lots of fun.

Once you decide what you want to do and pick a date, I can help make sure you get in contact
with the right people from Audubon to make sure someone comes over and gives a short talk
to the group about the swifts, and even a bit about how the swift migration relates to maps!

I wish it were me doing that, and once I get started at Google, maybe I can arrange that,
but I don't want you depending on me since I haven't even started my job and don't know what
it will be like (or if I will have a conflict).  There are plenty of other people I know at Audubon
who can talk about the birds (my wife was volunteer coordinator for Swift Watch for several
years, so she knows almost everyone).

I'm happy to assist from afar, or talk to whomever is organizing it.

--wm