[FOSS4G2016] A postcard for promoting the conference on print media

anton at foss4g2016.org anton at foss4g2016.org
Sun Jul 5 16:30:04 PDT 2015

Hi all,

thanks for all your valuable inputs!

So I tried my hands on the postcard... The current heat wave in germany
did its best to rob me of my creativity. But anyway, since time is
running out for them to be printed for Como... here is what I did: [1].

The images should fit nicely on a postcard format (DIN A6) at a
resolution of 300 dots per inch. The printing quality will be a
surprise, I'm afraid, since I have no printing capabilities here. Maybe
someone can make a quick test print before a few hundred failures get
out?

For the front, I guess 'front-05' is best, since it resamples the
website a little.

The backs are almost identical (*-nobg.png means without a dim photo
background) and should have enough space to write friendly messages on
it =).
I kind of like the idea of back-02*'s 'See you in Bonn'. The message
could be replaced by something else for a later version.
back-02* use the 'Luna Bar' font [2], which is not really free ($ 10)
and will have to be replaced by a real handwriting or a
free_as_in_freedom font (I'll look into that soon). Otherwise I took
only the fonts and photo used on the website [3].

Which brings up an interesting issue: copyrights.
At the last FOSSGIS-hacking-weekend in Essen I talked to the
Küstenschmiede-guys. They said that they purchased a license of the
photos (from [4], I think) and the font 'digital sans' used in the logo.
Does that mean that these resources must be re-licensed by OSGeo or
$someone_else or is there anything like a license-inheritance? I mean,
$we (not necessarily Küstenschmiede) will have to create different other
things with these. Any thoughts about that?

To be honest, I find something to nag about on each of the designs...
Anyway, tell me what you think. Which one do you like or dislike?
I'm always open to suggestions and harsh criticism =)

Have a nice start into the new week!
~ Anton

[1] http://antonpopov.de/foss4g-2016/postcard/
[2] http://www.dafont.com/luna-bar.font