[FOSS4G2016] A postcard for promoting the conference on print media

Anton Popov mail at antonpopov.de
Mon Jul 6 04:46:44 PDT 2015

Hi Gert-Jan,

> part 1. on the 3 designs:
> To me, resambling the website is not a goal in itself. It's just 2 different
> media types; web and print
You're absolutely right. I just thought that taking elements from the website
would be good for recognition value.

> I used prints of the 3 design to place them in a postcard&folder-rack in a
> nearby café. See images attached.
Thanks alot for testing =)

> Some pro's and con's on the 3 designs:
> + the coloreffect in the subtext (the annual conference...) in design #5
It's a little too shrill for my taste - I'll leave it that way then =)

> + the use of the osgeo logo in #2 and #5
OK, will bring it in on #3

> + the logo nearly at top in #5 (in #2 the logo might get obscured if used in a
> postcard-rack, as does the text "2016.foss4g.org"
Good point with the rack! Didn't think about that. As for the (protocol-less)
URL, I think that if someone is looking for it he/she'll take the card out of
the rack.

> + the font use in #2. Although the use of the (non open source!) font Digital
> Sans is not required, the font used in #3 and #5 is not the best combination
> with the logo. Perhap use a lighter/thinner style for this text?
I only got my hands on one 'Digital Sans' style, but you're right, the fonts
need to be reworked.

> - logo size. Especially in #5 it seems to get reduced because of the
> semi-transparent rectangle
The SVG-version that Till sent around a few days ago didn't have paths for the
BONN/2016 text of the logo so I couldn't render a larger version. I'll redraw
the logo then.

> - the 2016.fossgis.org in #3 and 35 seems like added as an extra (instead of
> being part of the design)
Good point. I'll think about that.

> - the paleness of #2 (a difficult to print properly, with the fading colors)
I think that won't be such a big problem on a high quality print. But I agree
that #2 appears a bit 'empty'.

> - the lack of the text "Germany" (does everybody know where Bonn is located?)
OK, didn't think about that (although I think people 30+ might have heard of
Germany's old capital). I'll try to work that in (@anton: maybe through a map?).

> - alignment. The website has left alignment, the 3 postcard designs have
> centre alignment. By design?
That's actually on purpose =). When I work in another photo, that may change
though.

Thanks for the motivation boost Gert-Jan, your comments are greatly appreciated!

I'll continue working on the designs this evening.

So long
Anton