[FOSS4G2016] Update:

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue May 5 23:25:13 PDT 2015

Hi Jeff,

(as always, the only one to comment on my emails ;-))

WINK MIT DEM ZAUNPFAHL (sry he german, means "a broad hint")

> Hi Till, everyone,
>
> Some comments inline below:
>
> On 2015-05-05 6:37 AM, Till Adams wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> just some updates on the stand of plannings on FOSs4G2016:
>>

>> Due to illness, long weekends and other delays we are still in the
>> progress of formatting our corportation. I hope to get that officially
>> done by this week, then we have to wait for the finance office...
>
> Note that the next OSGeo Board meeting is on the 21st, might be a good
> goal/deadline for you.

That's a nice idea, but as said, it is not in my hands, it is in the
hand of the finance office - so here is nothing else to do like just
wait.... ;-)

>> This thursday evening I have a meeting with Olaf, a friend of mine, who
>> shoots movies on a semi-professional base. We want to make a movie I can
>> show in South Korea for our invitation for the world. Also for this I
>> hope to get two or three dates from WCCB soon, so we can shoot some
>> scenes inside WCCB.
>> If there are any ideas regarding the movie, please feel free to
>> contribute!
>
> great idea!  You could mention how Bonn is so big that the OSGeo
> President got lost on a bicycle there one night :) ha. kidding.

Good introduction for the movie ;-)

>> Also Volker Mische, the chair of our program comittee wants to come to
>> Bonn, so he can check the rooms we've reserved for the conference.
>
> This is important, and something that I proposed years ago as part of
> the failed "FOSS4G Advisor' role, on-site visits before the event.  Not
> just important, in fact it is critical.  I would also like to get to the
> WCCB and meet with your team locally.

Do you plan to go to Como? Maybe that's an opportunity, if you come over
Bonn. Afterwards I am not here, as I start my holidays directly from
Como. But potentially there are others from Bonn who can make it with you.

>> Last week I had a meeting with Bonn Tourismus GmbH, we talked about
>> blocking of Hotels (they must do it now and they do for 1000 overnights)
>> and also about field trips. They will make a field-trip-program we can
>> directly put on the website.
>

> As you know it's an interesting time with accommodations, with the
> 'unofficial' places to stay (AirBnB) becoming so popular; I know here in
> Canada, at least 2 tourism boards (for Nova Scotia and for Quebec) are
> trying to regulate them.  Crazy question of the day: has anyone heard of
> an event that has an agreement with something like AirBnB for
> accommodations?  (a few euros off or something)  Is that even possible?
> ha.  Or, maybe you can take my odd question as: please think of ways to
> also promote affordable accommodation options for attendees.

We will offer the full range - there is no other possibility here, as
Bon nhas a veryh eterogenous landscape of hotels - few big ones and many
smaller ones.

The idea is not so bad, but theofficial thing is also not bad, as you
get the best rates guaranteed from Bonn Tourism and also the ticket for
public transport.

>> Another idea came up on a recent meeting with the city of Bonn, maybe on
>> the weekend before: There are some open hacking movements here in
>> Germany where people meet and hack anything with free data and free
>> software (open hack evenings). The idea was, to organize kind of free
>> hack weekend with themes - similar to the hacking workshops they
>> performed in Nottingham. Any opinions on that?
>>

> It's a great idea (in fact I believe Maria is planning something like
> this for the local community before FOSS4G-Como).

Looking forward meeting her there ;-)

Till