[FOSS4G2016] Urgent decision about rooms in WCCB

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 01:44:28 PDT 2015

Hi all,

On 10/19/2015 10:18 AM, till.adams at fossgis.de wrote:
> Hi LOC,
> I talked to Mr. Seyfert (PCO) in the past days about the possibility for
> only using the elder part of WCCB. The idea was born when the PR & M
> team was here.
> This would mean we would get rid off the tunnel below the plaza and the
> rooms thereafter in the new part of WCCB.
>
> On the other side, this would mean, that after the plenary chamber (1230
> seats) the next biggest session room will only have 112 seats. On the
> other hand, this would make the whole thing more familar and also
> increase the amenity of the place for the exhibition. We already thought
> about that earlier, but I am personally quite of unsure, whether the
> space and room offer will be enough.
>
> The available rooms would be as follows:
>
>          Plenary chamber (734 seats ground floor + 496 seats tribune)
>          Session-Room 2: Bonn 1 & 2 (89 seats)
>          Session-Room 3: Bonn 3 (72 seats)
>          Session-Room 4: Berlin (112 seats)
>          Session-Room 5: Kleiner Saal (79 seats)
>          Session-Room 6: Kaminzimmer (100 seats)
>          Session-Room 7: Rheinlobby (100 seats)
>
> I've attached a plan of the rooms for this.

I've sent an email to Darell to ask which capacities they had in Portland.

Without knowing those numbers I'd say it's too small. It's a total of
552 seats that are not in the plenary room. As we target around 1000
attendees, that would mean that if half of the people are in the plenary
session, all other rooms would be completely filled.

>From my experience from previous FOSS4G's there's always talks with low
attendance, thus there must be talks with high attendance.

When I remember the rooms from my visit in Bonnn correctly. there also
won't be that much space for standing. But it would also be interesting
to get a floor plan of the room which is at scale in regards to the seating.

Cheers,
  Volker