[FOSS4G2016] [Program] Lightning Talks

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue Jan 12 07:12:25 PST 2016

Hi Volker, @all,

because I recently received an email with this question - how do we
proceed with Lightning Talks? I am not quite sure, but I think in the
past years, it was possible to submit lightning talks via the normal cfp
system.

To be honest: I am not a fan of this, because lightning talks are only
a nice format, if the talker is really good and has understood, that a
lightning talk is more than just a "short talk" on any topic. So my
suggestion would be, that we create kind of text about lightning talk
for the homepage (as we do for the general talks as well) and call for
lightning talk submission via email directly to us
(info at foss4g2016.org). Review and acceptance of lightnings could be
made, when we fix the content of the "come together sessions".

An alternative would be to have a lightning talk session somewhere in
the program, like the OSM guys normally do on FOSSGIS conferences - but
there lightnings are really more a short talk and not a entertaining
attunement to the conference, as I understand them. So that's not my
favored solution...

Any ideas?

Till