[FOSS4G2016] Closing tasks

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Sep 2 12:46:18 PDT 2016

Hello 2016 team,

At the end of each FOSS4G, it's important to take a few moments and make
sure that important information is archived and shared, for future
FOSS4G local committees (yes I send this message each year, some listen
to me, some do not).

Till, you must have been psychic, because this morning when I woke up I
made some tasks for 2016, and one of them I see you are tackling this
afternoon (lessons learned).  Great minds think alike :)

1) Lessons Learned Wiki

It's important to fill in any of your thoughts (and this applies to
everyone involved in the local organizing team, not only the chair). The
template is online (Till made a good hack on it today), but others from
all committees are invited to add to it (program committee, workshop
committee, code sprint committee, volunteer committee, etc).
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2016_Lessons_Learned Feel free to add
any sections that are missing.  (login with your OSGeo user ID, which
you can create at http://www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid  That page also has
links to reset your password etc.)

2) Archive documents through OSGeo's SVN repository

I've been archiving FOSS4G documents, since 2004, at
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/  It has become a great resource for
logos, past sponsor documents, program templates; but some years are
empty (chairs did not agree with my insistence I guess ha).  Please,
whether you are on the website committee, program committee, volunteer
committee, code sprint committee, marketing any committee, please be
sure to commit your raw files into
https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/2016/  (use the same OSGeo ID as
mentioned above, and let me know if your user needs write access, I can
approve that fast).  Things like the code behind the Community Review
instance, are always looked for by the next year's committee, and if it
is easily accessible in SVN they won't have to search.

3) Submit the bill for the closing party to Mike Smith, OSGeo Treasurer.
  I spoke with Venka that day (Saturday) as you were heading to your
final dinner, and we agreed that this little dinner is a small way that
we can thank you, the whole OSGeo community thanks you, for all your
hard work.

4) Passing control of @foss4g twitter account

Usually each year we wait until videos and other news items are
announced by the recent FOSS4G local committee.  Your team has been fast
with videos, but there is always a few little items to share in social
media after.  I would say after next week, at the end of next week the
Twitter account should be handed over to the 2017 team.  (if this seems
too soon we can discuss this) I had the master password, but likely Till
should just let @guidos know privately the account info.

5) After you have recharged your batteries, plan a 'meeting' of the
local committee again, often this is done a few weeks after the event,
at a pub or a casual dinner place.  This to me is very important.  I
know, this year you did it on the weekend after, but, I find that you
can REALLY enjoy getting together a few weeks later (even a month
later), and sit down with each other and laugh (and cry ha), and be
proud of what you did.  Really, I think this is important.  You did it,
you went through it all together, and you will always be bonded by this.

That's all I can think of right now.

Thank you to the whole Bonn team, for making FOSS4G 2016 so memorable.
I've followed every step of the way, and I could not be more proud of
your work and passion.  It will never be forgotten.

#boatdrinks

-jeff