[FOSS4G2017] Kids Map Gallery

Heather Hillers heather.hillers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 10:49:32 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I have been mulling the things that worry me about the gallery concept.
These are not new things, but rather the more worrying things that I
touched on in the wiki.

The kids map gallery as I first wrote it up is very physical (and
surprisingly low tech.).  I needed to clear up who will receive the
submissions, what will we do for display space, what do we do with kids art
that gets left at the venue, and how do we organise display space and make
the display look good.  I was also very worried about what would happen if
we did not get enough participation.  Kids being disappointed is not
something I want to be responsible for.  I would also like it to be a bit
more relatable to conference goers who don't have families.

But, I figured it out today.  If the submissions are all digital, then all
the problems about display space go away, and the problems of managing the
artwork.  And we can make it much more part of the normal, done before part
of the conference.  Nottingham had a Map Gallery.  It was great.  Everyone
was talking about the submissions and hanging out in front of the display.
Super cool.  Bonn did not have a map gallery, and I really missed it
(unless I missed it).

So, I think all that has to be done is resurrect the adult map gallery,
which has been done and was successful and was relatable to everyone, and
add a category also for kid's submissions.  Ba Da Bing. And, since the
kid's submissions are displayed with the grown up submissions, we don't
have to worry so much about whether or not enough kids submit.  It has a
buffer.  I felt my blood pressure drop instantly when I thought of this,
which is usually an indication that I am on the right track.

What do you think? Is anyone working on an adult map gallery for Boston?

Heather