[FOSS4G2017] Marketing plan

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Sep 16 06:45:50 PDT 2016

Hello Boston committee,

As I mentioned earlier in 'next steps', the marketing committee for
Boston should begin to speak up and put some ideas and steps in writing
on the OSGeo wiki, and we could meet at next week's IRC meeting to
discuss these plans.   Today I noticed some confusion on the marketing
steps  (see https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1793).

Regarding press releases, typically the FOSS4G XXXX marketing committee
will

1) draft their release text on a page in the OSGeo wiki (for really
great examples, see the many press releases for FOSS4G 2009 at
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Releases)

2) send the wiki draft press release to foss4g2017 mailing list (here)
for the group to verify and discuss

3) when ready then follow the steps to submit an OSGeo 'news item',
which is outlined at http://www.osgeo.org/content/news/submit_news.html
(which automatically posts your press release to osgeo.org, twitter,
discuss list, announce list  - i.e. send your press release to
'news_item (at) osgeo (dot) org'

I also mentioned here in a previous message the importance of sharing
the logos, through a wiki marketing page, that will then spawn the 2017
logo to be placed on so many important web pages in the community, but,
i will save that for the next IRC meeting.

Does this make sense?

-jeff