[FOSS4G2017] Mailing List Apology and Announcement

Guido Stein gstein at appgeo.com
Tue Sep 20 13:58:36 PDT 2016

Hey folks,

I would like to take a moment and apologize to you. When I invited people
to join this community list, I was not clear about what type of use and
traffic would occur. I did not anticipate or think about the fact that this
list could get really busy with email activity. I am sorry for not
realizing how asking people to join the list could effect their inboxes.

The fact that there is a good amount of traffic on this list is **awesome**
because it means that we are all working as a community on projects for
next years event. Sadly, that is not how I described this list and I
believe that the healthy community conversation may confuse, annoy, and
overwhelm folks who support the event but cannot devote the time to follow
the conversation on this list.

Here is what I am doing to allow people who would like updates but not have
their email inbox fill up with the community conversation.

1)
I requested a new announcement email list from the SAC to provide a channel
for the voice of the LOC. They have created the new list here:

2)
I am bringing all the email addresses from this list over to the new list.
This way you do not have to worry about signing up for the new list. You
are welcome to unscub from this or the other list based on what form of
communication you desire.

3)
I am writing emails to the 10% of people who unsubscribed from this list
since the activity started to mount. I would like to keep them in the loop
as best I can.

4)
I am updating the launch website to have information about both lists,
describing their usage and volume.

I hope to have all these tasks completed by Sunday.

Please let me know if you have any questions or thought about this plan.

Guido Stein
Co-Chair
FOSS4G Boston 2017

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise