[Francophone] foss4g-be - 26/10/2017 - special track “FOSS4GeoEducation”

Maelle Vercauteren mavercau at ulb.ac.be
Wed Aug 23 05:00:59 PDT 2017

A kind reminder about our call for papers :
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G-BE_2017_Call_for_Papers

*************************************

Dear all,

We invite all contributors to submit their abstract for the 3d FOSS4G
Belgium Conference <http://2017.foss4g.be/>, which will take place in
*Brussels* on *Thursday October 26, 2017* at Bruxelles-Environnement (Tour
and Taxi).

This year FOSS4G Belgium will have inter alia one *special track about Free
Open Source Software in Geomatic Education*.

We are currently attempting to collect information about the experience in
geomatics teaching, and the use of FOSS4G, in Belgian universities. We hope
to have a representative panel of academics at the special session to
discuss about this topic.

The potential structure envisaged for the 2-hours session is as follows :

1) Overview of Free Software in the academic and in the research
environment on what is existing in the context of Universities (status –
inventory) in a global point of view and also specifically in Belgium with
data from a survey

2) Talk about Geo4all (the opportunity to be part of it and participating
in its development) & OSGeo-Live (overview of FOSStools & demos)

3) Round table about experiences we had with training and teaching FOSS4G :
moving to FOSS, what we have as new open data, new FOSS tools, what are the
needs for education to developers, what are the resources we have (which
materials already exist and how to enhance new material using FOSS in the
existing flow)

This session is intended to promote an academic reflection on free open
source softwares in geomatics and for example answer to this following
questions :

- How is free software for geomatcics (FOSS4G) competitive with proprietary
solutions?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of promoting FOSS4G versus
proprietary software?
- Who has access to technology and how to guarantee access for the greatest
number?
- How to participate in sharing the production of courses on free tools in
geomatics?
- What are the pedagogical innovations for geomatics courses and how to
judge their effectiveness ?

*Abstracts must be submitted using this form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdl_y8EI9g1iQOEapU2g6b4mEMCjv04GVa5hyHQxl7tspmrcg/viewform?c=0&w=1#_blank>*
The *deadline for submission is September 4, 2017*.

FYI, we also launched a *call for maps :
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G-BE_2017_Call_for_Maps
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G-BE_2017_Call_for_Maps>*

If it is not possible for you to attend the event but you would like to
give your opinion and / or be informed about the discussions that will be
carried out & the activities that the reflection plan to implement, don’t
hesitate to let us know.

Could you please especially inform all GIS's colleagues in your University
about this call for papers.

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,
Maë//e for OSGeo.be

--
Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles - IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)
Campus du Solbosch
Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143