[fusion-dev] Proposed Fusion Contributor Agreements

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Aug 26 14:57:48 EDT 2008

I am not a lawyer and did not review the two documents word for word,
but the spirit of them seems right to me. As usual, a few notes/comments:

1- In the case of individuals doing contributions as part of their work,
the question of whether they need both an individual *and* a corporate
CLA will inevitably come up.

There was a discussion about this in the case of MapGuide and FDO and I
forgot what the conclusion was. I suggest we follow Apache's guidelines
(they have similar individual and corporate CLAs) and require individual
CLAs for everyone, even if their employer has already signed a corporate
CLA... and make that clear on our website.

Excerpt from http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

"""
For a corporation that has assigned employees to work on an Apache
project, a Corporate CLA (CCLA) is available for contributing
intellectual property via the corporation, that may have been assigned
as part of an employment agreement. Note that a Corporate CLA does not
remove the need for every developer to sign their own CLA as an
individual, to cover any of their contributions which are not owned by
the corporation signing the CCLA.
"""

2- To simplify the process of eventually moving Fusion to OSGeo, should
we check with OSGeo about the possibility of having the Foundation
manage the CLAs from day one instead of going through DMSG now and
moving to OSGeo later?

Daniel

Jason Fournier wrote:
> All,
>
> I have posted two proposed Fusion contributor agreements on the following
> page:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion/wiki/Committers
>
> They are based on Autodesk's MapGuide OS and FDO agreements.  This seemed to
> be the best starting point as they have been legally vetted and are accepted
> by OSGeo in fully-fledged foundation projects.  I believe this is a positive
> step towards incubation and ensuring code provenance.
>
> All are welcome to review and comment.  There have been initial reviews for
> accuracy but please make note of any peculiarities or inconsistencies.
> After a couple of days I will call a vote for PSC members.
>
> Thanks to Autodesk for allowing us to base the agreements on their efforts.
>
> Best regards,
> Jason

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/