[fusion-users] Problems with starting a new application.

Tómas Guðmundsson tomas at snertill.is
Tue May 13 05:33:43 EDT 2008

Hello all.

I wanted to ask this list if they can help me understand something more about fusion. If there is some more documentation than on the osgeo webpage I would be verey happy if someone could point me to that resource. I'm hoping somebody on this list can answer several aspects I have not yet wrapped my head around. I am using Mapguide Server and Studio Enterprise 2009 and the Fusion that came bundled with that CD. All my modifications and testing took place in the folder mapguide2009/fusion/templates/mapguide/newtemplate/ where newtemplate was indeed just a copy of another template which I modified so I wouldn't overwrite the original copy.

a)      ApplicationDefinition.xml. To what ApplicationDefinition does fusion listen to or parse? I modified the one in the same directory, to hopefully include my mapdefinition but nothing happens. It still went with the default Sheboygan sample data or when it didn't do that it told me (via firebug) that mapGroup has no properties in Map.js. Maybe I'm referencing it wrong? Where can I find the MapDefinition for a weblayout or a map I have ? Also, when I removed a whole section of let's say, ContextMenu, nothing changed. Even with the right map (now given as a paramter in the URL) the same default ContextMenu popped up.

b)      I know there are several ways to add your own stuff to the fusion application, but as a programmer I want to everything by hand.  When I add something with a point and click via Mapguide Studio it sometimes works but I would like to know the best way, and in what order I should add the xml definition of a widget, the javascript implementation of that widget, and then the xml snippet inside the applicationdefinition? (Which as point a) made, did not work for me when I changed the ApplicationDefinition).

c)       How do I get fusion to execute my code? I tried with my own widgets or components and just the simple javascript command "alert('I say, Hello Fusion!');" does not seem to execute in my own widgets. Other widgets modified, like in the most simple one, About widget. Just before I would open the about window, I entered that line and nothing happened. A colleague of mine told me to move it up 4 lines, on line 67 in About.js, which seems totally random to me but hey, I got my About button to say Hello Fusion so it worked.

So these are my main points of not understanding how Fusion works, so I would appreciate it greatly if somebody could help me understand these points.

Regards,

Tomas, Programmer for

Snertill, Iceland.