[fusion-users] min/max Zoom scales

Måns Beckman mans.beckman at manandmachine.se
Wed May 21 06:41:41 EDT 2008

Hi All,

First I'm just going to tell you that I'm not really a programmer, I'm more of a script kiddie, so bare with me.

The thing is that we got a customer that wants to limit how close the user can zoom in to the map. So I started to have a look and found out that there was something that made the map not zoom in closer than the scale 1:1. So I started do look in the code for what was preventing this, but I didn't find anything in the zoom widgets or in the zoom functions in Map.js. So I started to think there was something in openlayers that made it impossible to zoom in more.

Ok, so eventually I found out that we can send some options when we initialize the open layers map, and I guess that 1:1 is the default value. http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/SettingZoomLevels

So I looked in the code for where we initialize an open layer map and found something on line 98 (this is MGE2009 so the exact lines might have changed). Anyway I thought that I would try to send some more options to the map and changed line 94 from

var options = {controls: [], fallThrough: true};

var options = {controls: [], fallThrough: true, minScale: 10000};

When I reload my map it initializes on scale 1:10000, I can zoom in but not out. I try to change minScale to maxScale, to make the opposite happen. But when I do that, nothing happens in the map, it works like I had sent no extra option at all.

So, could someone explain this behavior? And could someone tell me how to solve my problem without using fixed zoomscales?

Best regards

Måns

Måns Beckman

Man and Machine