[fusion-users] Thesis presentation with Fusion component

Andrew Parker andrew at source3.com
Fri Nov 7 11:15:42 EST 2008

Hello group:

For those who have been following my posts, I keep mentioning I will be
creating a HowTo.  Before continuing, I want to recap....

For my Capstone Project (the Masters in GIS at Penn State equivalence to
a thesis), I will be documenting my work on using open source for web
mapping.  As part of the Capstone, I need to present at a national
conference.  I am beginning to write my proposal to present at
http://en.oreilly.com/where2009/.  The topic is geared for
non-developers (like myself) who want to move away from proprietary
applications and into open source.

I will be documenting my journey, from deciding what Linux distribution
to use to what web mapping application I tried and what worked and did
not work, including the ease of getting a mapping application online.

At the conclusion of the discussion, I want to present a working demo to
show beginners that open source does work for real life projects.  The
demo is an actual project supported by PRRC <http://baervan.nmt.edu/>
(their site is currently down).  The demo will be accompanied with a
howto that will include installing Linux to Fusion for MapServer.

*Before proceeding, I want to check with the developers* to make sure
that they are OK with me using Fusion as part of my demo.  If anyone has
concerns, please contact me ASAP.  Thanks.  And now you know why I am
such a bother on the forums, I want to finish my masters by Spring 2009!

Lastly, this PRRC project will continue past my Capstone.  By project
end (Spring 2010), I am hoping to integrate R-Spatial and complex
spatial analysis into Fusion.

~andrew