[fusion-users] LoadMap/LoadScaleRanges Proposed Change

Nolte, Tim Tim.Nolte at ipcswirelessinc.com
Fri Oct 30 15:26:58 EDT 2009

As I've been delving into the problems related to the Legend not being
created and loading properly when you have multiple MapServer maps
defined in a MapGroup I have I see a potential issue that looks like
will require a significant change to how the process works from loading
one of the maps to running the LoadScaleRanges for the Legend.

Currently LoadScaleRanges is called for every LoadMap call. While this
may be working for MapGuide, this is not working for MapServer as the
LoadMap.php script is trying to use the $_SESSION to pass along the
scale ranges to the LoadScaleRanges.php script. What I have found is
that when one of the LoadScaleRanges calls runs the $_SESSION may not
have the data it needs to build required elements for the Legend. What I
am proposing is that the system be changed to execute 1 call to
LoadScaleRanges at the end of the 'loadMapGroup' javascript call. I
believe this will probably result in even a client-side performance
improvement especially if one wants to include many visible maps in a
MapGroup. I'm fairly certain also that this will also result in all
information being available (via $_SESSION) that is needed to properly
generate the Legend.

Is anyone currently doing any major work on this portion of the code?
I'm willing to contribute to this change. Thanks.

- Tim

----
Timothy J Nolte - tnolte at ilpcs.com
Network Planning Engineer