[GCI-discuss] Google Code In 2017 Participant, Want to be a part of OSGeo's family !

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 06:55:20 PST 2017

Hi Piyush,

Welcome to OSGeo Community.
This https://help.github.com/articles/creating-a-pull-request-from-a-fork/
is a useful link on how to submit a pull request. Open source projects
won't grant you direct access to their repositories until you are a well
known recognized maintainer of that project, and this means a lot of work
to do before that moment.
While you are learning more about our software and how open source
community works, please listen to the suggestions that Jeff has been giving
to you: particularly, keep the conversation on the mailing list. Replying
to just one person is in general not OK, unless you are discussing about
private issues, which is not the case. In this case however, you can
contact the admins at gsoc-admin at osgeo.org . This mailing list, the IRC
channel and the admin email address are the only channels students should
be using for communication with us, besides the developers mailing lists of
the various projects. Other channels (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc) do not
guarantee you a response. Don't take it bad, it's just too much to keep
track of all students requests coming from different channels.
Hope this helps, and looking forward to see your first contribution!

Regards,

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> Hi Piyush,
>
> Thank you for adding yourself to the OSGeo member map.
>
> It's very important that you reply-to-all so that all of the Code-in team
> (admins, mentors) can follow along and help you.  We have a team of 4
> admins, and 10+ mentors that can help you through the Code-in contest.  The
> email address to always send to is gci-discuss at lists.osgeo.org
>
> As I wrote you before, you can now spend time learning and getting
> familiar with the OSGeo projects that are involved in the Code-in contest,
> before the contests starts on the 28th.  If you want to learn other OSGeo
> projects & contribute, of course that is great too, we welcome the help! :)
>
> Regarding our OSGeo projects on Github, generally the first step is
> cloning (or "forking") the project repository, making your source code
> changes, and then submitting a "pull request" to the OSGeo project. This is
> where other admins and mentors on this mailing list here will help you, as
> it can be tricky how to do this.  Is this what you meant by your Github
> questions?
>
> Thanks for your continued enthusiasm for the OSGeo community! :)
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2017-11-22 6:22 PM, PIYUSH RAJ wrote:
>
>> Hey Jeff,
>>
>> I have made my initial presence, *Thank you very much for such a warm
>> welcome!
>> *I however, wanted to work on some Github repo(s), and wanted the team
>> approval on Github!
>> I wanted to work on some repo(s) like : OSGeo <
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/osgeo>**geoschemas <
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/geoschemas>**tilecache <
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/tilecache>**Cat-Interop <
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/Cat-Interop>
>>
>> /I really am interested in *OSGeo's non-Github repo's*, but while I'm
>> learning how to contribute effectively, I wanted to work on some of *our
>> *Github Repo(s).*:)*/
>>
>> *And, Thanks for helping me, Again!*
>> *Now, I'm in member-map too!*
>>
>> /Looking forward for your reply!/
>>
>> *Thanks & Regards,
>> Piyush *
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 3:07 AM, Jeff McKenna <
>> jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com <mailto:jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Piyush,
>>
>>     (please always reply to the mailing list in your responses, this
>>     helps communication flow to everyone)
>>
>>     I have approved your wiki request.  You might want to expand your
>>     wiki page now: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:0x48piraj
>>     <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:0x48piraj>  For example, as you
>>     learn OSGeo projects and start contributing, you can list your OSGeo
>>     activities on your wiki page (such as mine
>>     https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jeff_McKenna
>>     <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jeff_McKenna>).
>>
>>     Please start examining the OSGeo project links and getting familiar
>>     with the projects, for the Code-in contest.

> [...]

Margherita Di Leo