[gdal-announce] GDAL 3.8.0 is released

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Nov 13 09:48:52 PST 2023

Hi,

On behalf of the GDAL/OGR development team and community, I am pleased to
announce the release of GDAL/OGR 3.8.0. GDAL/OGR is a C++ geospatial data
access library for raster and vector file formats, databases and web
services.
It includes bindings for several languages, and a variety of command line
tools.

http://gdal.org/

The 3.8.0 release is a new feature release with the following highlights:

* Add [JSONFG](https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/jsonfg.html) read/write
vector driver for OGC Features and Geometries JSON.
* Add [PMTiles](https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/pmtiles.html) read/write
vector driver for PMTiles v3 datasets containing MVT PBF tiles
* Add [S102](https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/s102.html) raster read-only
driver for S-102 bathymetric products (depends on libhdf5)
* Add [gdal_footprint](https://gdal.org/programs/gdal_footprint.html)
utility: compute the footprint of a raster file, taking into account
nodata/mask band, and generating polygons/multipolygons corresponding to
areas where pixels are valid (#6264)
* Python bindings: various enhancements to reduce the number of
"gotchas" related to inter-object ownership relationships, and a few
syntaxic sugar enhancements
* Arrow interface: improve spatial and attribute filtering on read side;
add write side with OGRLayer::WriteArrowBatch()
* GeoPackage: much faster spatial index creation (~ 3-4 times faster)
* ARG driver deprecated: will be removed in 3.9.0
* Bump of shared lib major version

More complete information on the new features and fixes in the 3.8.0
release can be found at:

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/v3.8.0/NEWS.md

The release can be downloaded from:
   * https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.8.0/gdal380.zip - source as a zip