[gdal-dev] Re: Convenience Functions

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at h...
Wed Dec 2 23:54:16 EST 1998

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> I made sure my CPL files compile here and updated the copyright
> headers, etc. Now, I think I'll let you integrate them where they fit
> in your source tree, and once it's done I'll download the complete CPL
> from your system and work from there. This means that your system
> becomes the master CPL source tree (that's probably simpler this way?),
> and also implies that we'll need to define how I can access your system
> to download updates and checkin stuff etc.

Daniel,

I have incorporated your code, and renamed lots of stuff (again) for the
low level. For access I will organized for CVS checkouts outside my
machine. For now you might want to login in look in ~warmerda/gdal/port.
You have a danmo account, though if you don't know the password I can
reset it.

> I haven't renamed the stringlist functions yet, because I'll have to
> edit the file anyways to make use of your safe malloc and other stuff.

I have renamed them to CSL (Common StringList), and changed to use CPL
malloc functions, and VSI file access functions. I have not tested at
all yet, but they compile.

> As for the error handling, I haven't added an error class to my error
> stuff because I was not sure if you would work from my implementation or
> from yours... if you want me to take care of modifying my error handling
> stuff then let me know.

I have added it, though now the only error class that has an effect is
the CE_Fatal class. It is also not stored.

> Finally, you'll probably notice that I don't use the fancy PCI comments
> any more, I use a simplified version of these comments instead... there
> are 2 reasons to that: CPI comments are hard to maintain outside of
> Emacs (inside MS Dev Studio for instance) and also I wanted to avoid
> having any dependency to PCI tools (the PCI*.el files)... I hope it
> won't be too hard to keep our code clean because we use different

I think it shouldn't be a big deal at long as we agree on the relative
precidence of /****/ over /*===*/ over /*---*/. I have also started using
inline comments where block comments seem inappropriate. I still do use
PciEdit.el (must rename!) myself.

> Also, for now we both use the same coding conventions (the PCI one)... I
> guess if outsiders start contributing to our libs, we'll have to
> document that coding style in order to keep the code clean.

Correct - we will have to establish which aspects matter, and document
them. I am inclined to take a more relaxed view on code style given that
everyone is a volunteer. Eventually as outsiders are contributing it will
be more difficult to enforce a particular style. I would rather stress
issues of portability, error handling, and so forth over internal code
style.

Later,

Who can give them back their lives | Frank Warmerdam, Software Developer
and all those wasted years? - Rush | URL http://members.home.com/warmerda