[gdal-dev] Brief Status

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at h...
Tue Mar 2 16:39:24 EST 1999

Folks,

A few notes on GDAL:

o I have changed GDAL to use an autoconf generated configure script. This
is supposed to take care of setting things like the local byte order, and
takes the place of various hacks in the GNUmakefiles. Eventually I
should be able to revert to using Makefiles that are compatible with
other than GNUmake.

o I have looked into using automake to generate ``GNU compatible'' makefiles
but found it too involved for the time being. I may revisit this later.

o I have incorporated stub support for Arc/Info Binary Grid files (read only).
See also: http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/aigrid/

o I have completed, and delivered the Imagine file support (read-only) to
Intergraph. It is included in GDAL in the frmts/hfa directory.

o I am adding support for normalizing GeoTIFF projections based on a bunch of
CSV (comma separated values) files with contents of the EPSG database in it.
I am having problems getting data out of this MS Access database with
sufficient precision. Anyone an Access guru?

o I am now maintaining libgeotiff (outside GDAL) and it is stored on CVS on
the server remotesensing.org.

o The LIMP image processing library is now hosted at www.remotesensing.org
and I am exploring cooperation with the maintiner of that library.

o More generally, I am proposing use of GDAL for the image processing
initiatives at Remotesensing.org. If you haven't heard about it, visit
www.remotesensing.org. Yes, it's goals do seem to match my own very
closely. I hope that this site will form a critical mass of remote
sensing open source enthusiasts to really make some stuff happen.

Depending on various factors, I may move GDAL to be hosted on
remotesensing.org, though I don't see any big hurry to do so.

Regards,

I set the clouds in motion - turned up | Frank Warmerdam, Programmer for Rent
light and sound - activate the windows | http://members.home.com/warmerda
and watch the world go round - Rush | warmerda at h...