[gdal-dev] Re: DOQ1 and DOQ2 description reading

Derrick J Brashear shadow at d...
Mon Jan 24 10:13:10 EST 2000

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> >
> > I commited patches for it, but did not commit patches which make the
> > bridge able to use it, and gdal_translate include it. I can send those if
> > anyone cares.
>
> Derrick,
>
> Thanks for the DOQ2 support, and the descriptions. I would prefer that the
> GetDescription() method remain DOQ specific for the time being (it seems it
> isn't implemented on the GDALDataset base class). It is my intent to

Actually, it is implemented on the GDALDataser base class, but I didn't
commit those patches

> implement a generic metadata strategy at some point, and at that point to
> update various tools to carry the metadata. Description would just be one
> of potentially many pieces of metadata.
>
> I haven't yet worked out a strategy I want to follow, nor have I had a
> compelling need.

Yeah, there were actually a few other items I wanted to copy (Date & Time)
but the big one was description, so I implemented that and left the rest.

-D