[gdal-dev] gdal_translate question

Frank Warmerdam warmerda at h...
Tue Oct 24 22:33:44 EDT 2000

Robert Denham wrote:

> Hi,
> I am interested in using the gdal library, and thought I would get
> started by having a look at some examples, like gdal_translate. I can
> only seem to get this to work for GTiff formats, though I know you
> have done lots of work on other formats. Ideally I would like to be
> able to translate from img to say AIGrid and the reverse. But when I
> try anything other than the default, I get
>
> 0.ERROR 6: GDALDriver::Create() ... no create method implemented for
> this format.
>
> I called it like this:
> gdal_translate -of HFA -b 1 irvine2.img irvine3.img
>
> Perhaps someone could explain my problem?

Robert,

Only some of the formats support creation of output files. The high level
formats list, and the individual format descriptions should (in theory) address
what is possible.

http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/formats_list.html

What version of GDAL are you using? The last source release predates the
addition of Erdas Imagine write support, even though the online documentation
(and code in CVS) supports this.

You should be able to translate to formats such as JPEG, MFF, PCI .aux, and
PNG (with various limitations) using the release version of GDAL. If you
are intersted in Erdas Imagine .img support, I would suggest building GDAL
from CVS.