[gdal-dev] OT: OGR and Quadtree and R-tree

Paul Selormey paul at t...
Tue Aug 21 20:16:22 EDT 2001

Hello John,
Thanks for the mail.

>>[...]
> If you don't mind me asking, what sort of extents and resolution is this
> data and how well clustered is it (from the bounding box perspective)?

It is a town map or better still street map of Thailand.

> Do you need the whole lot visible at once?

Definitely. Being a layer, at some point there might be a need to display
all even if not
really readable.

>>[...]
> Unfortunately L.J. Qian has indicated that he is unable to continue
> development of GFC due to other commitments :-( However he is quite
> happy for some new development to take place. I think there might also
> be some related code in OSSIM.

Thanks for the information. The R-tree in GFC is somehow complete, even
thought I have not tested it complete yet. Also, he presented a memory
mapping
class which is platform independent-I have being working for Windows
specifics
here.

I really think, most of the GFC ideas and codes could be of great benefit to
the OGR,
however the OGR is not currently as much attention as the GDAL.

> There are some other links as well that I can go digging for if
> interested. What are you interested in doing, visualisation? HTH.

Thanks for the offer. I really need any information to get the most of the
OGR/GDAL.
Well, the email will only tell a story of an open-source LaTeX related tool
developer, but
I am interested in open sources in general and now I have a job involving
GIS. Even though,
I do not hope to make it a permanent job since I am professionally
Electrical/Mobile Communication engineer, I wish to make the most out of the
opportunity
to study more of GIS. I am also using the opportunity to study and use the
open sources
because I will in the future develop open source tools based on them. So to
me, someone
is paying me to study :-)

Best regards,
Paul.