[gdal-dev] OT: OGR and Quadtree and R-tree

Paul Selormey paul at t...
Wed Aug 22 06:47:42 EDT 2001

Hello John,

>>[...]
> If you are interested, I am looking at dusting off GFC - unless anyone
> else can tell me where I can find a GPL'd C++ library for GIS
> objects..... I was planning on starting work in about a month - once I
> have figured out autoconf/automake and done a bit more reading. My aim
> is to start with a bit of recoding in the core mechanics using the STL -
> mainly so the code is a bit more intuitive for new developers, then work
> on making data types compatible with the GIS standards. However I don't
> know how compatible that development will be with the OGR code due to
> the different licences :-(

I am interesting in helping the further development of theGFC. I will be
coding mainly
on Windows and will make the VC++ project files available for interested
developers.
I am really not autoconf/automake fan :-(

Library for GPL will have little value. It will be nice to maintain the
current licence of
the GFC. I do not know if the STL will be very useful here, especially
considering the
incompatibilities between C++ compilers and STL libraries currently.

Whenever you get the project off, drop me a line.

Best regards,
Paul.