[gdal-dev] arc/info binary grids / mapserver

Ian Turton ian at g...
Thu Dec 13 12:06:56 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 11:49:28AM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> What did you use to convert to binary grids? I gather the result is one
> big grid? Would it be possible to provide me with a smallish sample
> grid that has this problem?

I used arc/info to do the conversion as described at
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/topo/globeget.shtml. There are 16 tiled grids.

> Second, if you want fast access you might want to try converting the BIL
> files to tiled tiff, and build overviews. You can build overviews for
> BIL to, but it can't be directly tiled.

I'll have an experiment with this and let you know.
--
Ian Turton, Centre for Computational Geography, School of Geography,
University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT. 0113 2333392