[gdal-dev] normal USGS DEM?

Norman Vine nhv at y...
Mon Jul 16 00:16:11 EDT 2001

Frank Warmerdam writes:

>In my previous life at PCI I spent alot of miserable effort supporting a
wide
>variety of USGS DEM products. Different LF/CF configurations, some with
fixed
>length records, some with variable, some screwed up files from ESRI
software,
>etc. Anyways, no one has had much interest in old style DEMs in GDAL and
my
>previously experienced with them weren't so pleasant so I haven't bothered.
>
>If you can point me to some relatively straight forward code for reading
them,
>and some sample files, I would be willing to add the format.

For USGS DEMs there are several projects with good source
The drawmap code is straight forward clean 'C'
http://www.ttc-cmc.net/~fme/drawmap.html
http://www.arq.net/~kasten/demtools/
http://www.mindspring.com/~jamoyers/kdem/

WIndows code from USGS < excellent but may be windows specific >
ftp://ftpmcmc.er.usgs.gov/release/viewers/dlgv32/source/

FWIW
If you have any specific questions about USGS DEMs
I can usually find the answer fairly quickly

Cheers

Norman