Building GDAL on Linux

Ben Discoe ben at v...
Mon Nov 12 03:26:50 EST 2001

I finally got a brand-new Linux machine of my own, and am trying to build
GDAL on it. The machine is a 1.4GHz Athlon, Redhat 7.2.

Upon building GDAL, i get errors like the following:

gmake
[....]
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/Ben/gdal-1.1.5/frmts/gtiff/libgeotiff'
gcc -c -I../../../port -I../libtiff -Wall -fPIC -O2 -I/usr/local/include -I/
usr/local/include xtiff.c -o xtiff.o
xtiff.c In function `XTIFFFdOpen':
xtiff.c:477: Internal error: Segmentation fault.
Please submit a full bug report.

I then type 'gmake' again and it appears to get further, until it hits
another Segmentation fault.

I'm a Win32 "power developer", but have very little Unix development
experience. Are there errors normal? Are they related to GDAL? Is there
anything i can do about them?

Thanks,
Ben